- Students MUST be enrolled as Student Affiliate members for 2014-2015. (See instructions in the Student Affiliate section.) **IMPORTANT** PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK THE STUDENT’S SCHOOL GRADE BEFORE ENTERING IT ON THE ENTRY FORM. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME YOUR STUDENT AFFILIATE CHECK! IT WILL BE RETURNED.
- Register online at www.mig.ribice.xyz —preferred method. To register online, go to www.mig.ribice.xyz and log in with your assigned username and password. Follow the steps outlined on the instruction sheet that you received with your username and password. Hardcopy entry forms are available from the SAMTA website or from the Theory chairperson if you are absolutely unable to register online. Be sure to request these forms in time to meet the entry deadlines. Mail the check, a copy of the completed registration form and a copy of the completed Cover Sheet (if mailing a hardcopy registration form) to:
Zelda Meneses-Reus 132 W. Summit San Antonio, TX 78212
- Teachers who enter students are REQUIRED to be present on the day of the theory test to assist with the tests. Be sure to indicate your availability to work on the online registration form or the cover sheet if using the hardcopy forms. Registration forms that do not list the teacher’s availability to work will not be accepted. Incomplete forms will be returned! If a teacher absolutely cannot work on the day of the theory test, he/she should first contact the chairperson and see if there is a preparatory activity in which he or she can invest their time prior to the event. These tasks are limited and will be given on a first come, first served basis.
- Teachers who have students taking the make-up test are also REQUIRED to be present on the day of the make-up test to assist with the tests. Make-up tests will not be given to students whose teachers are absent on the day of the make-up test. [Passed by Executive Board, fall 2009]
A teacher who does not work and does not send an adult substitute will be subject to a $100.00 penalty fee. (Non-payment of this penalty will result in being prohibited from entering students in the Theory Tests the following year.) [Passed by the Executive Board, August 2011]
- The entry fee for each student is $11.00. Make one check, payable to SAMTA for the total number of entries from your studio. Entry fees are non-refundable and cannot be carried over to the next test.
- NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE ENTRY DEADLINE
- ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGES ARE ACCEPTED AFTER THE ENTRY DEADLINE. Teachers are responsible for finding out the school grade and test level of their students before completing the entry form. Students must either take the theory test at the level entered (grade level or below) or forfeit the opportunity to take the test altogether.
- Due to the rapidly increasing number of student participants in the state of Texas, the processing time for all theory tests has become longer over the years. It is not likely that we will get the Fall results before the Spring test deadline. Consequently, use your best judgment when entering students in the Spring test. For example, you may want to enter a student in both the Fall and Spring tests if this student is resolute in obtaining a gold medal or if you think a new student is likely to obtain an unsatisfactory score on the Fall test. By entering the student in both the Fall and Spring tests, the student is ensured two tries if it is necessary. Please do keep in mind that entry fees submitted cannot be refunded. Feel free to call the chairperson if you need to discuss specific situations.
Please note that there will be absolutely no exceptions to the above guidelines. Registration CANNOT be made over the phone. No entries or alterations will be permitted after the deadlines.
Teachers are advised to allow plenty of time for their students to make plans by posting the dates of the test in advance. There will be a make-up test on the day following the actual test date; however, this make-up test is solely for students who have an emergency or an impossible conflict on the day of the actual test. These students may take the make-up test only by asking their teacher to contact the chairperson.
Please do not give out the chairperson’s contact information to parents. Correspondence must be conducted directly between the chairperson and the teacher.
Phone messages and email requests for make-up tests (no later than 6:00 p.m. on the day of the actual test) will be accepted. Reminder: Make-up tests will not be given to students whose teachers are absent on the day of the make-up test). Permission to take the make-up test will be given at the chairperson’s discretion. The following excuses are acceptable: SAT/ACT test, Band/Choir UIL, illness, church services. Unacceptable excuses include ball games, sport practices, swim meets, etc. No make-up tests will be offered to families who “forget” to show up on the actual testing date.
The above rules and regulations have been revised and contain vital information, both old and new. Please read these rules very carefully and call the chairperson with any questions you may have. This will alleviate any misunderstandings at the event for you and your students. Due to the great numbers of students that participate in this event and the resulting volume of paperwork,
ALL RULES AND REGULATIONS WILL BE ENFORCED!
CHAIR’S DECISIONS ARE FINAL.
- Students who score 90 or above are award Whitlock medals for Levels 1-12. Fractions are dropped.A score of 93 ¾, for example, earns a Bronze Medal.
Gold Medal: 98-101 Silver Medal: 94-97 Bronze Medal: 90-93
- Vocalists who score 90 or above on Whitlock Test Levels 6, 8, 9, and 10 are awarded the Vocalist Theory Medal.
- Instrumentalists who score 90 or above on Whitlock Test Levels 6, 8, 9, and 10 are awarded the Instrumental Theory Medal.
- Students taking tests below grade level do not receive medals